Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Crockpot Cauliflower Bolognese with Zoodles

So, it's clear to see I've been on a cauliflower kick lately...but honestly, this veggie is amazing to work with and can be used in so many recipes as a substitute for rice and meat. In this recipe I used it to replace turkey, which I would normally use. I try to eat vegetarian at least twice a week and this came out so good that my husband actually thought it was turkey and didn't believe me when I told him it was cauliflower. I also loveee to use my crockpot and spiralizer , so this recipe was a win, win! If you don't own a spiralizer , here is the link to the one I bought on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

The spiralizer is amazing! I have stopped using pasta all together now and have replaced pasta with zucchini noddles, carrot noodles or any other veggie I can get my hand on that I'm able to substitute... bye, bye unnecessary carbs!



Ingredients:
  • For bolognese:

  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut up into florets
  • 3/4 cup diced red onion
  • 2 small garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp dried oregano flakes
  • 1 tsp dried basil flakes
  • 2 14oz cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth, low-sodium
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper, to taste

  • For the pasta:

  • 5 large zucchinis, Blade A
Directions:

Place all of the ingredients for the bolognese into a crockpot. Place the crockpot on high and let cook for 3.5 hours.

When done, smash the cauliflower with a potato masher, fork or kitchen aid mixer until the florets break up to create a "bolognese."

Spoon the bolognese over bowls of zucchini noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment