Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mud Hen Bars

My favorite dessert is by far chocolate chip cookies. I love chocolate chips cookies that are soft, chewy and oozing melted chocolate chips. When I came across this recipe on pinterest I knew I had to try it. These were amazingggg. I LOVED them. They are exactly the kind of dessert I crave. This dessert is a chocolate chip cookie bar with a brown sugar meringue... stop it! I made this for my church group because there was no way I was going to leave the whole tray at my house. I have willpower....but my willpower is only so strong when it comes to chocolate chip anything!



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
  • 1 large egg + 2 egg whites, divided
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

  • Directions:

    Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

    Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.

    Cream butter, granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar until combined. Turn mixer on low. Add 1 egg, mixing completely. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips. Press into prepared pan. Chill dough until egg whites are ready.

    Beat 2 egg whites with a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form (about 3-5 minutes on speed “6” if using a stand mixer). Sprinkle 1 cup of brown sugar over the beaten egg whites, making sure there are no clumps. Fold in the brown sugar and spread evenly over the cookie layer.

    Bake for 28-33 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. If the top starts to brown too quickly, cover it with a layer of parchment paper. Let cool to at least room temperature before cutting. (Chill in the refrigerator for quicker cooling.) Peel away the foil carefully before cutting. **Be sure to spray your knife with cooking spray before cutting. After each cut wipe away excess and spray the knife again.**

    No comments:

    Post a Comment