Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sloppy Joes

OK, so I know sloppy joes aren't the most glamorous thing to eat, but I love them. I crave these sloppy joes almost every week, but I have to refrain because I try to mix it up. These sloppy joes are so dang good and calorie-wise, they aren't that bad. I cut down on the brown sugar (usually use 1-2 teaspoons) and I always use lean beef, but of course you can use regular beef if you'd like. I also try to cut down the calories by topping the mixture over 1 piece of bread... but honestly, I think this dish is so good without any bread at all. You can serve it next to a side salad and it makes the perfect meal.







Sloppy Joes Recipe:
(makes about 4 servings)

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard ( I use regular mustard)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 BBQ sauce
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tsp of worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste


Directions 
In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion,
and green pepper; drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, red pepper, worcestershire
sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce
heat, and simmer for 30 minutes (add water if needed to simmer).

Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment