Friday, August 10, 2012

Ditch the Workout... Join the Party!

Working out is a big part of my life. I try to go at least 3 times a week to the gym, but even that can be hard! I'm not a huge fan of working out by myself, so I love to find group fitness classes because they are usually more fun and keep me motivated. I have tried all different types of classes - body conditioning, kickboxing, 24 hr Fitness' TKB..aka: Turbo Kick Boxing (one of my favs!), step class, yoga, pilates, you get the drift...

I have also been a member of almost every gym you can think of: 24 Hour Fitness, Spectrum, Equinox and now I'm a member of LA Fitness. 

Out of all the gyms and classes I've been to... I have been seeing a common class offered at each of these gyms - Zumba. I've heard of Zumba and had little understanding of what kind of class it was- dancing, right? Who knows.... I just never thought a class where you dance the Salsa was ever going to be a burn enough calories.




As the Zumba craze has gotten bigger and bigger…I decided to take a class when I was a member of Equinox. Like I thought...it was fun, but I didn't sweat much, which meant I know I didn't burn enough calories. I only work out about an hour at a time, so in that hour I want to burn as many calories as I can!

When I joined LA Fitness a month ago, I took a look at the classes they offered and I saw they offered Zumba every day! If they offer this class every single day, it has to be good, right? Let's try it out again and see....

O M G....I had one of the BEST workouts of my life! Not only was this class SUPER fun, but I was sweating so much. This Zumba class was way more high energy than the one I took at Equinox. I guess every instructor is different! I asked the teacher how many calories on average you burn in an hour class and she said up to 550 calories! I was sold…. 

I take Zumba 3 times a week now. Zumba has been the only class I have ever taken where I smile almost the entire time. It really is like a party and everyone has such a great time. This workout definitely trumps any other class I have ever taken! Even if you're not a "dancer" type, everyone should give this work out a try. I even see guys taking this class. This has been the first time where I actually get excited to go the gym because I feel like I'm going to a dance party---where I burn crazy amount of calories (bonus!).

So, come on…. and like they say in Zumba-- "Join the Party!


No comments:

Post a Comment